Monday, February 23, 2009

A.R. Rahman wins 2 Oscar Awrards




A.R.Rahman wins 2 Oscar awrards he is first one who got oscar from India.Totally 24 awrads were given in that 8 Awards to Slumdog Millionare in that Rahman got 2. Rahman works on five or six films a year, juggling several at a time in various stages of completion. While unheard of in Hollywood, that pace is common in India, and Mr. Rahman has made his share of modern classics.

“It would be a great honor,” Mr. Rahman said with characteristic diffidence in a phone interview this week from Los Angeles, where he was preparing to perform at the ceremony. “It would help me to do bigger things.” Ask him what those bigger things might be, however, and he grows even quieter. Naming some Western directors he would like to work with, he sounds distracted, almost bored, as if the future is just too abstract to worry about.


Mr. Rahman was playing professional sessions by age 11 and soon had a rock band. He received a scholarship to the Trinity College of Music in London, and upon his return to India began composing commercial jingles.

He didn’t have an acceptance speech ready, he said, and his days in Los Angeles before the awards were packed with activity, including a performance of “Jai Ho” on “The Tonight Show” on Thursday, meetings with various directors and record labels, and filming the video of a Pussycat Dolls remix of “Jai Ho.”




When the evening kicked off, did you think you would end the night with two Oscars?

I had very little expectation to win anything so I was concentrating on the performance. When the first award was announced I was almost mute and then I went on to perform. After the performance when the second award was presented, that’s when I realised the enormity of the occasion. I'm very grateful to all the prayers and wishes of the people in India and the world who have appreciated my music.

What was your favourite moment at the awards?

I really loved having the kids who acted in Slumdog there. The way the kids came in was wonderful and it was so moving. In fact, they were so touched, it was such a big moment for them too that they were all crying in the end.

Are there any plans for a celebration back here in India?

Yes, absolutely. I actually want to host a celebration honouring all the musicians, singers, lyric writers and everyone else from the music industry who has worked with me from the time of my first film Roja. I’ve had this in mind for a while now and since the Oscars have happened, I think its apt to have it now.

The song Jai Ho has become the anthem of the nation. What does it mean to you now?

I always believe that words have a power and that's the reason I sometimes fight with lyricists and tell them not to put negative words in songs. Words mock the action and intention of real life according to me. Subhash Ghai was the one who suggested that I should have a song with the words Jai Ho. So when I read the script of Slumdog I thought it would fit in well. Danny loved it too. There was another song in the contention but I believe it was the destiny of this song to be felicitated.

This success opens many doors for you, will Bollywood continue to be the main focus for you?
Well, I've taken advances and spent them already. [Laughs] So I need to do those films. I'm coming back to India very soon to work on the films that I've committed myself to and I'm a man of my word so I will be back there soon.
According to you, how will Resul Pookutty’s and your triumph impact the film industry and its professionals here?
It is a good starting point. I see this as a bridge for the Indian industry to go truly global. Earlier, there was an aversion when a different kind of cinema was played in America and this actually led to a collusion. Now that Hollywood. has accepted Slumdog, I think it sets a trend. If we make more films that can appeal to a global audience then many more Indians can cross over to the international film industries.

What are the perceptions about India in Hollywood and how will this change now?
Everyone treats each other as equals here. think this is a great start and a great time to do some original and credible work and push the envelop to take the Indian film industry to a great height.

Biography

Allah Rakha Rahman was born A.S. Dileep Kumar on January 6, 1966, in Madras (now Chennai), India, to a musically affluent family. Dileep started learning the piano at the age of 4, and at the age of 9, his father passed away. Since the pressure of supporting his family fell on him, he joined Ilayaraja's troupe as a keyboard player at the age of 11. He dropped out of school as a result of this and traveled all around the world with various orchestras.

He accompanied the great tabla maestro Zakir Hussain on a few world tours and also won a scholarship at the Trinity College of Music at Oxford University, where he studied Western classical music and obtained a degree in music. Due to some personal crisis, Dileep Kumar embraced Islam and came to be known as A.R. Rahman. In 1987, he moved to advertising, where he composed more than 300 jingles over 5 years. In 1989, he started a small studio called Panchathan Record Inn, which later developed into one of the most well-equipped and advanced sound recording studios in India.

At an advertising awards function, Rahman met one of India's most famous directors, Mani Ratnam. Rahman played him a few of his music samples. Mani loved them so much that he asked Rahman to compose the music for his next film, Roja (1992). The rest, as they say, is history. He went on to compose several great hits for Tamil-language films before composing the score and songs for his first Hindi-language film, Rangeela (1995). The enormous success of his first Hindi venture was followed by the chart-topping soundtrack albums of films such as Bumbai (1995) , Dil Se.. (1998), Taal (1999), Zubeidaa (2001), and Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001), which was nominated for best foreign-language film at the 2002 Academy Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment